Download Full Text (10.7 MB)
Julian Niemcewicz wrote from Lublin, Poland to Susan U. Niemcewicz in Elizabethtown, New Jersey. Niemcewicz arrived in Lublin to see one of his sisters in the Convent of the Holy Sacrament. When he entered the “awful gothic building,” he rang a bell and a nun came out and ushered him into a parlor where he was separated from the interior of the Convent by an iron grate. A few moments later his sister appeared and upon seeing him, she threw herself on the floor and pronounced a fervent prayer that brought both of them to tears. After composing themselves, they spoke for two hours. His sister’s faith made her happy and she was never allowed to stir from the convent. Niemcewicz added an entry dated Puławy 28 November. He returned to celebrate the Princess’s birthday and it was celebrated with great solemnity. He made her a present of George Washington’s tea cup. It was custom that on a birthday friends make a present and his gift was very well received, although he was sorry to say the saucer broke on the strong roads between Hamburg and Berlin. At the party, they attended a Polish Opera and Performance, which Niemcewicz recounted in detail in his letter. Received a letter from the President of their Literary Society who informed Niemcewicz that he was chosen as a member. Niemcewicz added an entry dated Wieliczka 2 December. He was on the spot of the ancient and celebrated mines of salt. The valuable mines were discovered in the eleventh century under Boleslaus the Pious King of Poland and extend in a horizontal circumference of 14,400 feet at a depth of 720 feet. Julian described the mines in great detail in the remainder of his letter.
Julian Ursin Niemcewicz (1758-1841)
Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz (1758-1841)
Susan Ursin Niemcewicz, formerly Susan Livingston and Susan Kean (1759-1833)
Bay 1, Column 2, LHC Series 2
Niemcewicz, Julian U.. Julian Niemcewicz to Susan U. Niemcewicz, November 22, 1802. Manuscript. From Special Collections Research Library and Archive, Kean University, Liberty Hall Collection 1800s. https://digitalcommons.kean.edu/lhc_1800s/228
This collection is open to the public for research use. Copyright remains with Kean University. Credit this material. Personal photographs may be made for research purposes. Inquiries regarding publishing material from the collection should be directed to Lynette Zimmerman, Executive Director at the Liberty Hall Academic Center & Exhibition Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Collections Research Library and Archive, Kean University