About Kean Quest
Kean Quest is a peer-reviewed, multidisciplinary student research journal published by Kean University. This biannual digital journal strives to highlight the exceptional research and creative work undertaken by Kean University’s undergraduate and graduate students. Acceptance of work into Kean Quest affords students access to the world of academic journal publishing. Research is not complete until it is peer-reviewed and presented to an audience. Kean Quest offers Kean students the opportunity to close the loop on a research or creative project and provides an important opportunity to broaden their professional development prior to graduation.
A research paper or other scholarly work showcases a student’s acumen in terms of strong knowledge and understanding of the topic, autonomous research, and originality. Kean Quest accepts submissions representing the following types of student work:
- Research Papers/Scholarly Articles
- Chapters derived from sections of full dissertations or theses written by doctoral and other graduate students
- Literature Reviews
- Systematic Reviews
- Design/Architectural Design/Visual Art/Photography (Should include a concise description including title, dimensions, and methods used)
Kean Quest accepts submissions on an ongoing basis via an online submission form. Email email@example.com to learn more.
- Kean Quest will have “first-run rights" to the submission. The submission must be an original and unpublished work by a student author or student co-authors. In addition, the submission must not be pending review elsewhere and must not be submitted for review elsewhere pending completion of the Kean Quest editorial decision process. Find more information on the Submissions Agreement.
- The submitter must be a Kean undergraduate or graduate student or a recent Kean alumnus.
- The submitter should have a faculty mentor who can, if necessary, approve and/or provide guidance on the submission. Articles published in Kean Quest will list the mentor as a Faculty Advisor; faculty members can not be authors or co-authors on any submissions.
- Students must follow the most recent edition of the discipline-specific style guide (APA, MLA, AMA, Chicago, CSE, or ACS). Information about some of the most commonly used citation styles are featured here.
- The submission should contain:
- Title Page
- Contents, Endnotes, Footnotes (as necessary)
- Submissions should be made electronically on the Kean Quest website. The submitter should upload a Word document or Rich Text Format (RTF) file. Click Submit Article to upload your submission.
- Submitters should regularly check their email accounts as editors may have questions about the work submitted and will need timely responses.
- Submissions should be in English.
- Users of Kean Quest agree not to misuse the website services in any way.
Submissions style depends on the discipline selected by the student. Please follow the most recent citation guidelines.
- MLA (Modern Language Association) - English, arts, and humanities
- APA (American Psychological Association) - Psychology, education, and social sciences
- AMA (American Medical Association) - Medicine, health, and biological sciences
- Chicago - History
- Turabian - Universal application across all subjects and disciplines
- CSE (Council of Science Editors) - Natural sciences like biology, geology, etc.
- ACS (American Chemical Society) - Chemistry
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Q. When is the journal published?
- A. Kean Quest is published digitally twice a year in April and October.
- Q. What happens if I miss a publication deadline?
- A. Since Kean Quest has rolling submissions, you may submit at any time. In case you miss a deadline for the Fall/Spring issue, the work will be considered for the next issue (Fall/Spring whichever comes next), provided you are still a student or recent alumni of Kean University.
- Q. Is there a fee for submitting a paper?
- A. Submission is free. Kean Quest provides peer-guided review and publishing at no cost.
- Q. What Citation style guide format should I follow?
- A. You should follow the updated version of the discipline-specific style guide (APA, MLA, AMA, Chicago, Turabian, CSE, or ACS). Some of the most commonly used citation styles are featured here.
- Q. Can I submit my work to another online Journal website?
- A. No. Kean Quest will have “first-run rights" to the submission. Your submission has to be original. It should not have been published before or pending review/publication elsewhere. Read the ‘Submissions Agreement’ for more information.